About Me

My photo
After 35 years in public education as a university administrator and a high school English teacher, I began my second life as a freelance writer, winning San Diego Society of Professional Journalists awards for my opinion columns in the former San Diego daily North County Times and the San Diego Free Press.

Saturday, October 27, 2018

My Aching Hip: Preparing to Go Under the Knife


I’ve been touched by a scalpel only three times in my life: to remove a cyst from my wrist, to repair a hernia, and to get rid of a couple of cataracts. As a newbie to major surgery, I must admit to a little anxiety. Well, maybe a lot of anxiety. Ok, I’m scared.

Kaiser Permanente seems to understand this. The description of how the surgery is done verges on a do-it-yourself guide. A graphic slide show removes the mystery of the procedure, the meditation, visualization and affirmation tapes I can listen to before, during, and after the operation, serve to reduce anxiety and promote healing. Click here for a sample:  http://74.62.111.169/kaiser/files/successfulSurgery/02_Imagery_For_Surgery.mp3

The one I’ve found most helpful thus far has been a firm, but gentle, voice inviting me to place myself in an operating room that features a skilled surgery team, expertly going about their work, while exchanging comments about how well it’s going. In the room with me are Karen, the rest of my family, and a circle of good friends, looking on with smiling faces, admiring my courage.

Yesterday Karen and I attended a 2 ½ hour hip replacement surgery class. There were nine of us at tables in the conference room at the Kaiser medical offices three miles from our home in San Marcos. At the front of the room a screen had been set up for a slide show presentation.

While awaiting the teacher, we quietly filled out forms asking us about our current physical activity, our daily pain level, and our scheduled surgery date. Filling the silence, recorded piano music softly played a melody fit for a funeral home viewing room parlor. An unfortunate choice, I thought, given the audience. I was relieved to see smiling Nurse Sofia enter the room, carrying her clipboard and a cheerful greeting.

After Sofia led us through the steps of how best to prepare for the 1.5 to 2-hour operation, as well as what to expect during and after surgery, she underlined the importance of preparing an Advance Directive, naming someone to make health care decisions in keeping with your written wishes if you’re unable to do so. Karen and I both have Advance Directives, specifying our wishes to donate our bodies for medical science. Here’s how and where you can do that:  http://www.biogift.org/body-donation-faq.php

A physical therapist followed Nurse Sofia’s presentation. She described how to keep your new hip from popping out of its socket. It comes down to avoiding crossing your legs for a couple of months. That will be easy for me. As a kindergartner I discovered, much to my embarrassment, I was unable to sit cross-legged. To this day I have been unable to do so. A lotus position has been only a fantasy throughout my life.

Our last speaker was a discharge agent who reviewed what to expect upon leaving the hospital. I was delighted to hear that a physical therapist will visit us at our home twice a week for three weeks.

During recovery I’ll listen to that tape of affirmations intended to lift my spirits while I cope with the challenges of returning to my old, but nimbler, self.

I now feel well-prepared for surgery on Tuesday. I can do this thing. Watch for my next blog, My Aching Hip: Under the Knife Day, to see how it went.

No comments:

Post a Comment